In this post we discuss what is all about penetration testing/pen testing/ethical hacking
What is Penetration Testing
- It tests for the security vulnerabilities in web based applications, networks and systems.
- Here the testers get legal salary to hack ethically.
- Here the main role is to simulate the real time attacks on the web applications such that one can predict how the real hackers might hack the system.
- The simulation will help the organization to fix the security loop holes.
Roles and responsibilities of penetration testers
Penetration testers roles and responsibilities are as below
- The main job is to find the loop holes in the web and fix it.
- Must be able to perform physical security assessments.
- One must develop own tests and tools for hacking.
- One must identify all the vulnerable areas in the web.
- The person must ethically hack the vulnerable areas.
- Use various methods such as social engineering to uncover security holes.
- Must build the security test strategy by looking all aspects.
- Regularly it must be checked and the reports have to be maintained and discussed with the management.
- Retesting must be done when the issue is fixed by the team and the proper feedbacks must be given.
Key Skills required for performing penetration testing
- The person must have the knowledge about all the operating systems such as windows, UNIX and Linux.
- Must have programming skills.
- Must have good understanding of the computer systems and its tools.
- One must be well informed about the web and mobile applications.
- The person must be skilled with vulnerability analysis and reverse engineering.
- Also have a good grip in cryptography principles and forensics.