If you are working on testing the mobile apps then you should define the test approach before we start testing any mobile apps. Here are the strategy or approach we should follow while testing the mobile apps
Network testing scenario
- Network bandwidth: they check the app in both low and high bandwidth to check if it is functioning well.
- Offline condition: The functioning of the app in offline mode is checked.
- Flight mode: the functioning of the app when the app is put in flight mode is analysed.
- Different network condition: The app is run in various networks like 3g, 4g, and 2g to see if it works well in every network condition.
- Network drop off: During the times when the network completely goes off like in the case of a tunnel or a building, how the app behaved is analyzed.
- Network switching: While the network is switched from GSM to WIFI or WIFI to GSM the behavior of the app is checked.
Mobile feature testing
- Screen size is checked.
- Touch and gestures: if the touch and gesture feature in the app is working properly or not is checked.
- Orientation: whether the app supports both the vertical and horizontal orientation or not is checked.
- Camera: the working of the camera while this app is running is checked.
- GPS: most of the apps access GPS facility therefore this feature is analyzed.
Device fragmentation/compatibility testing
- The different operating systems are used to check like the android and windows.
- The app is checked with both physical stimulator devices.
- The app is checked with cloud based devices that are remotely placed to access the devices.
The app is made sure to follow usability guidelines.
- The layout of the app is fixed.
- The overall look and feel of the app is decided and checked upon.
- Exception handling: here it is ensured that right messages are delivered in the case of error.
- Testing the business application
- Validating the business requirements
- Carrying out exploratory testing
- Mobile messages: It is ensured that while the messages pop up when the app is running, it does not alter the app experience.
- Push notification: when the notifications pop up the app must not stop working.
- Alarm ringing: When the alarm goes off it must not alter the functioning of the app.
- Multi tasking: even if many applications are running in the background the app must work seamlessly.
Location based testing: Here the GPS implementations are checked upon.
Automation testing: automation tests such as touch gestures and sensors.
Installation/un-installation testing: If the app works well or not during the time of installation and un-installation is checked.
- The response time is checked while load and stress is applied.
- The app is tested under different protocols like https, tcp etc.